Most men – as compared to Everyday Carry for Women – take a very simple approach to the items they carry every day. What most men take with them fits easily in their pockets, hooked to their belts, or stashed in their car.
Of nearly 50 men surveyed (via Everyday Carry, EDC Forums, or email survey), six items were overwhelmingly the most common that men claimed to always have on them.
Six Common Items Men Carry
- Over 80% said they carried a knife. There's quite a variety of the type and complexity of the knives that men carry, and some men even carry multiple knives with them at one time.
- Some men carry their phones in their pockets, while others clip them on their belts. Worthy of note, though, is the fact that there are still quite a few individuals who do not carry a cell phone or who consider it an optional item.
- Wallet/Money Clip/Money. In some form, all men carry their identification, credit or debit cards, and money with them. Many still carry a wallet, but some only carry the bare minimum of a driver's license, one credit/debit card, and money. One individual claimed to only carry $3 to $5 with him for coffee. That same man also always has his fishing license at the ready, too.
- As with the knife, there is quite a variety of flashlights that men carry as well as a variety of ways they carry them. Some carry them in a pouch hooked to their belts, others have them on their key rings, and still others simply carry small enough flashlights to keep in their pockets.
- Chances are that every man carries keys with him, but not all of them listed that they do so. Some carry quite a few keys, while others only have a couple. Perhaps with the new technology in cars that don't require a key to open or start them, carrying keys is going to become a thing of the past.
- A watch was slightly lower on the list than the other items, though it is still common. Most likely, many individuals now use their phones for telling time.
Other common items that many men carry with them include sunglasses, reading glasses, a pen or marker, a multi-tool, breath mints, and lip balm. Several men said they carry a picture of their wife and/or kids too, but most likely those who carry phones keep pictures there. Only some of the men who are married noted their wedding ring as an item they always have on them.
Less Common Everyday Carry Items
There are also some items that are less common but that quite a few men claim to always have with them. These items include a gun, tape measure, rescue whistle, and utility corkscrew. Each one probably holds a good story as to why it is carried every day too.
Some men also mentioned items they always kept in their cars. Those items include a gym bag (did not say what was in the bag), snacks for energy, a water bottle, and an umbrella. Everyday Carry for the Car touches more on this area.